Wednesday, February 25, 2009

White Bean Chili Verde



I love chili. In writing this post, I realized that I rarely order chili at restaurants. I'm not really sure why that is. Anyway, I do make it at home pretty often and this green chili is one of my favorites.

Some notes:
I've never tried making it with dried beans, but I bet it would work since the chili simmers for a couple of hours.
Canned tomatillos will do the trick.
Add as much cayenne as you can handle. I think I usually use between 1/8th and 1/4 tsp.

White Bean Chili Verde
1 TB olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 green onions, sliced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small cans of chopped chilies
2 cans Great Northern beans
4 tomatillos, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
some cayenne
some black pepper

Heat the olive oil and saute onions, garlic and red pepper for 2 minutes. Add everything else. Bring to a boil and then let it simmer for a couple of hours until it gets to your desired consistency.

Wasn't that easy? Maybe that's why I love making chili!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh chili- one of my favorites as well. And I never order it at restaurants, either...I think it's because I know that it wont be up to my standards since I add SO many ingredients to my chili.

    I'm a sucker for garnish so I always add cheese, sour cream, onion and either crackers or torilla chips. YUM!

    I'll try this recipe next week for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin-you have to let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Heartland. I love hearing from each and every one of you!