Monday, August 31, 2009

Shimer College





I love abandoned buildings. LOVE them. You may even remember my earlier post about abandoned houses. I also love university campuses almost as much as abandoned buildings. So imagine how excited I was to find myself on the campus of an abandoned college? Perfection.

Shimer College was located in Mount Carroll Illinois until the 1970s when it relocated its campus to the northern Chicago suburbs. The campus sat vacant until it was purchased by the Campbell Center for Historic Preservation, which runs classes and workshops there. Though the campus is technically occupied, many of the buildings are used minimally and renovation is not financially feasible for the small organization.

This week I will share some of the photos I took while I was enrolled in a course at the campus. You should also check out this set of vintage photos taken on campus in the 1970s.





Link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Heartland. I love hearing from each and every one of you!